Camden Place’s history starts in 1607, when it was built as an impressive home for the antiquarian William Camden.
In 1862 the 127-acre Camden Estate was purchased by a Nathaniel Strode, a lawyer and ‘fixer’ who had known Napoleon lll since the 1840s.
Strode began to recast Camden House as a French Chateau, lowering windows and adding balconies and balustrades, plus magnificent gates taken from the Paris Exposition of 1866.
Inside, a new dining wing was added, complete with imported panelling that had originally been created by the finest French craftsmen who then went on the work on Versailles. This room has been described by the experts as ‘possibly the best French interior in England’.