The oak panelled hall at Camden Place was added in the 1760’s as part of the transformation designed by architect George Dance for Sir Charles Pratt (later to become Lord Camden)
It was the centre of a three-room, three-story addition at the front of the house and was intended to be the back door, used by servants and provide access to the gardens.
The panelling is dated from the early 1600’s and was probably carved by Flemish craftsmen working in England. It was recycled from elsewhere and repurposed to create the square hall. It was originally a straight run of panelling along a corridor.
The hand made screws holding the panelling in place indicates it was indeed added as part of the 1760’s transformation work. The ceiling also dates from this time. The hall also includes two ‘secret’ doors leading to the adjoining rooms and allowing discrete access for the servants to come and go.
The top of the panels includes a series of twenty carved grotesque corbels in the form of figures, framing the coving of the cornice.
These interesting and individual figures depict a range of styles and activities: